Friday, January 7, 2011

The Beginning

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, the only previous one that stuck long enough for me to still remember was a resolution to 'eat more chips'. I enjoyed that promise to myself particularly in January before most people had yet to abandon their diet resolutions.


For 2011 I have decided to do something.

My resolution is to end this year with less than I start with. To be more specific, 365 less things than I start with.

The plan, for every day of the year I will reduce my possessions by one item.

When I buy something new then I need to trade that for something else and everything I get rid of must be recycled or re-homed, no Landfill.


I'll keep a tally weekly but since I intend to dispose of all these items responsibly they may still be in the house. Judgement day is 31st December 2011 – everything must be gone by then to count.

I’ll try and blog weekly with progress to keep me honest.

Rules
1. 365 items less by 31 December 2011. For every item that arrives one has to go to break even.

2. Just chucking it out isn’t good enough, need to stay green so strictly NO LANDFILL

3. Disposable stuff doesn’t count, putting out the trash once a week isn’t part of this, nor is composting a banana peel. This is about reducing possessions and hoarding not the turnover of trash in our household.

4. What is one item – well a pair of shoes counts as one, not two. I could probably do all 365 in one go if I got rid of some papers. There is a sense of collections here counting as one. I am the judge and jury on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment